17 | Happy Earth Day
The path few weeks have seen an immense change in my surroundings. The snow melted away, and green began peaking out as the temperature inched up. Now, I walk through the parks of Warsaw, and I am struck by how lush and green my surroundings are when just a few weeks earlier they were still a barren. Spring is such an easy season to celebrate, because of the obvious physical changes, which are followed by a bettered mood and greater appreciation for the surrounding environment. I have never so highly anticipated spring as when I was walking in 14 degree temperatures. I don't think I've ever been able to truly appreciate this first season change of the year before, because in Atlanta winter flirts with fall and spring throughout the season, and the only concrete signal of the advent of spring is the stifling pollen. However, now I can officially say I am pumped to look out of my windows and see green buds on the trees and flowers sprouting out of the traffic median.
With this reflection in mind, it is incredibly simple to understand why Earth Day is in spring. I don't think I would be as onboard with celebrating our planet when it is sleeting. Unfortunately, the coming week is a little crazy for me, so this weekend has mostly included me being holed up in my apartment studying and creating presentations. The past two days I have been able to go on incredible multi-hour walks through Warsaw's parks, but today I am determined to fully prepare for the week ahead as the week has officially begun. So, no walk for me.
But, because I am studying for my Sustainable Development midterm, I thought I would take a moment to wish you all a very happy Earth Day. I implore you all to take a moment to think about how your every day actions affect our planet. It's our home, and, dang, God did a good job creating it.
So, maybe eat a meatless dinner, use reusable bags while buy locally grown produce, take a shorter shower, unplug the appliances you aren't using, or just go take a walk to enjoy the day. Or you can take a short quiz to understand what your ecological footprint is and better ways to personally reduce it. With my current lifestyle here, I use enough resources where if everyone lived like I did we would need 2.7 Earths. Also, remember that I normally don't eat meat and don't drive, but I do fly fairly often. For a more normal comparison, Eli got 4.4 Earths.
With this reflection in mind, it is incredibly simple to understand why Earth Day is in spring. I don't think I would be as onboard with celebrating our planet when it is sleeting. Unfortunately, the coming week is a little crazy for me, so this weekend has mostly included me being holed up in my apartment studying and creating presentations. The past two days I have been able to go on incredible multi-hour walks through Warsaw's parks, but today I am determined to fully prepare for the week ahead as the week has officially begun. So, no walk for me.
But, because I am studying for my Sustainable Development midterm, I thought I would take a moment to wish you all a very happy Earth Day. I implore you all to take a moment to think about how your every day actions affect our planet. It's our home, and, dang, God did a good job creating it.
Greenhouse in Copenhagen
Water between Helsingor and Helsingborg
Lazienki Palace in Warsaw
Faro Cabo Mayor in Santander
Ice on the way to St. Petersburg
So, maybe eat a meatless dinner, use reusable bags while buy locally grown produce, take a shorter shower, unplug the appliances you aren't using, or just go take a walk to enjoy the day. Or you can take a short quiz to understand what your ecological footprint is and better ways to personally reduce it. With my current lifestyle here, I use enough resources where if everyone lived like I did we would need 2.7 Earths. Also, remember that I normally don't eat meat and don't drive, but I do fly fairly often. For a more normal comparison, Eli got 4.4 Earths.
Comments
Post a Comment