8 | One Month in Poland!

So, y'all probably thought my next post would be about my trip to Spain. Sike! That will be next, but I figured it would be worthwhile to take a moment to look back on my first month in Poland!

My flight to Warsaw from Paris landed at 1pm (it was an hour late) on February 19th. Since then I have gotten settled in my apartment, survived Orientation Week and three weeks of classes, travelled to three different countries, explored my new city, and eaten some great food! Honestly, it feels like I've been here so much longer. Not because I am entirely steeped in Polish culture and can perfectly speak Polish or anything, but because I have a routine and have made a life here.

There have been some useful developments, such as learning how to dress for the cold (which coat I should wear, if I need to bring a hat, etc.) and downloading a better navigation app than just Google Maps to get around Warsaw using public transportation. Also, the sun is going down about an hour later now than it was when I first arrived!

I'm also a lot more comfortable doing things on my own. I wouldn't say that in Atlanta I wouldn't go out to eat by myself or be completely against going to museums on my own, but now I truly don't care what people will think of me being at a nice restaurant by myself or exploring on my own. Of course, this doesn't mean that I've been completely on my own here. I have found some very kind, helpful, and generous people here that always want to get a bite to eat after class or on the weekends or find the best bubble tea place.

I've also slowly found the best stores to find whatever I need. Whether it's the elusive eggplant or travel size conditioner, I feel like I'm really adapting to Warsaw. I have also yet to eat at a big American chain here! I almost broke down earlier today, because I wanted some McDonald's french fries, but I prevailed!

Let it be known I still cannot pronounce "I'm sorry" in Polish. I mean "Przepraszam" is really difficult  - cut me some slack.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

24 | Zakopane

22 | A Failed Trip

21 | 25 more days!!